23 May 2019

Iz'ldra - Primaris Dreadnought of the Salamanders

While I still have more dwarves to share I thought it would be nice to break up the posts with the other bits I've been working on.

A while back I won a painting competition in my local Games Workshop, and the prize was a primaris dreadnought sprayed gold(ish). While it was nice to have a trophy to commemorate it, I decided pretty quickly that since it was a model I was going to paint it. It took me a while to decide on a chapter but I eventually decided I'd like to paint some green so went with Salamanders. Here's the result:







Normally, I like to paint models this big in sub-assemblies. As I received this guy already built I found getting to some parts a challenge, especially when cleaning mould-lines and where he had been clipped from sprue. Because of this, and because I'm really coming to appreciate a grittier look to 40k models, I decided to make him pretty dirty. When the whole thing was painted I went over it with patches of Agrax Earthshade and built up mud and dust around the lower parts and, really, wherever I felt like it. This covered up a couple of building mistakes as well as some spatter from my airbrush, while also giving some variation to the model that would otherwise be lacking.

As a gaming piece I think you'll agree he came out very well. I've decided I really like painting dreadnoughts and can't wait to try another one, maybe this time in Blood Angels colours.

Next up will be more dwarves, but until then, happy painting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment