27 May 2019

Guard of the Slapdash King

Still working my way through the backlog of dwarves I need to photo. This time it's my King's Guard:







These are, of course, the longbeard/hammerer models from Games Workshop, but I intend to use them as King's Guard if/when I play with them as a T9A Dwarven Holds army. I decided the hammers and flat helmets looked too over the top (and a flat helmet just seems like a bad idea).

These guys got a bit more effort put into them, partly because they had more detail but also because my idea of "slapdash" has evolved as I become a (slightly) faster painter. That said, I was hoping to do the metal more quickly using the new gloss washes from GW (well, they were fairly new back when I started them!) but after a couple of tries I couldn't get it to settle right and went back to ye olde washes and more effort highlighting. The banner also got a lot of attention, freehanding the Hold's sigil as practice for my BSB and because a big banner like that deserves something extra. Totally worth it - I'm really proud of the result.

Overall these gorgeous models were great fun to make and paint. I don't really need a bigger unit, but I'd like to get my hands on just one more to make another champion to use as a character. (Actually I have another model in mind that might wind up replacing the leader of this unit, but that's for another time.) If the Ironbreaker models are as nice to play with as these I'm tempted to add them to the army...

Anyway, hope you like these guys. You can expect more dwarves in June. Until then, happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment