05 August 2021

Plasmancer Cryptek

One thing I'm really bad at is painting whole armies. I just don't have the stamina or the concentration to paint the same stuff over and over again, which is why my dwarves and even my vampires are still not 100% finished, yet. It's something I'm trying to improve, though.

Rather than work with the models I have - like a rational person might do - I decided to start an army that's really geared towards quick and easy painting. I got hold of a couple of boxes of Indomitus while they were available (even though I'm not always painting, I am always compulsively collecting) and decided Necrons would be a good project for an army to quickly finish with a limited palette. Since I didn't see myself ever wanting to field two plasmancers, I figured one would make a good test model for my colour scheme. Here's the result:


Sadly, his pointy finger was damaged while he was on sprue, so I gave him a very pointy finger instead.

The process was very simple, at least to begin with. Starting from a black undercoat, I sprayed everything with Vallejo Duraluminium. Then I washed the gold parts with Contrast Iyanden Yellow, and picked out the staff handle in a dark grey. When dry I applied a thick coat of black oil paint over everything, then came back and removed the excess to create the highlights. Once the oil was dry I added a little AK Winter Streaking Grime (I think that's the name) to the gold just to give it more greenish/brown depth. Then it was just a matter of picking out the green (a mix of phthalo green and a warm yellow, with dark sand and white to highlight).This is where things got less simple.

I wanted to have a go at an OSL effect. I've tried before with modest success, but for my Necrons I wanted the green glow to be a major part of the whole army. I wound up spending twice as long painting all the light effects than I did the rest of the model, slightly undermining my attempt to paint this guy quickly. That said, for a first draft the results aren't too shabby. The only changes I want to make are to leave the oil paint on longer to make the whole model a little darker, focus on adding more depth to the gold, and paint the tubes at the top black rather than green, but keep the glowing effect in the middle.

Now that I've worked out my colour scheme, I have a sizeable force of Necrons added to my to-do list. I hope to use them as a sort of instant gratification in between longer projects when I'm feeling winded.

Hope you like it. Until next time, happy painting!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment