22 August 2018

Even in Death, I Still Paint

I don't paint a lot of big models. Anything bigger than cavalry and I'm loath to do anything with it, but given that I own a steadily growing number of large models (including a wraithknight, a few flyers, Nagash, several other vehicles, a greater daemon - you get the idea) it's something I feel a need to work on.

So, despite my innate love of the standard sized 28mm model, I decided to break from my preference and paint an Ultramarine Dreadnought. It'd also be a good opportunity to stretch my airbrushing muscles, as I was pretty sure I could do most of it without a brush.

It's just the push-fit Assault on Black Reach model, but painted up I think he's almost as nice as the multi-part ones.


Ultramarine Dreadnought Front

Ultramarine Dreadnought Top

Ultramarine Dreadnought Back 1

Ultramarine Dreadnought Back 2

Ultramarine Dreadnought Detail

The blue was all airbrushed using three different shades of blue (I think - I honestly don't even remember which ones, just whatever seemed appropriate at the time) except for some minor edge highlighting and shading to make it pop. The metal is pretty standard (Boltgun, followed by Chainmail and Mithril (GW paints), and shaded with black and brown - although not necessarily in that order), and the little red light was one of my first times using GW's gemstone paints, which had been sitting on my painting desk for a while. By far my favourite detail, though, is the writing on the left leg - best I've ever managed.

This model was a joy to paint and I'm looking forward to getting some colour on my grey giants.

Until next time, enjoy the photos and happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment