03 September 2018

Dire Avengers

I do seem to be painting a lot of blue lately.

Dire Avengers are the backbone of an Eldar aspect army and were some of the first Eldar models I ever owned. (I don't think I'm ever going to get used to calling them Aeldari or Asuryani.)

I put my Dire Avengers together a long time ago, undercoated them, and never got round to painting them. (Although I did base coat my exarch.) As I've been having a lot of success airbrushing blues I decided now was the time to change that (the unpaintedness of the Dire Avengers, not my recent success in painting blue - long may it last.)


Eldar (Aeldari) Dire Avengers






I'm pretty happy with how they look (especially the simple but effective bases) but will definitely change a few things next time round.

I'm not a fan of the GW's Gemstone Paints for painting actual gemstones. While painting them the old-fashioned way is time consuming, I think the effect is much, much better and worth the extra effort. Gemstone Paints are better reserved for things like vehicle screens or other unusual items.

I'm also disappointed with the Ceramite White (GW) I used to paint the cloth and helmets. I thought it would save a little time (because white can be so annoying to get right) but it took about as many layers to get the coverage I wanted as starting with grey would have. It doesn't flow like the other paints in GW's Base range, either - much less smooth and generally not nice to use. Next time I'll just go with my normal white recipe.

While my Craftworld colours are bone and light blue, I want to keep my a more traditional palette for my aspect warriors. (It's well-established canon that the Eldar's motto is "Fear the Rainbow".) I'm looking forward to getting some other aspects on my table and maybe take a break from blue for a while.

It does get a little repetitive.

Until then, happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment