07 October 2021

Happy Spooktober! Part 1: Terrorgheist Rescue

Way back when the terrorgheist model was released I picked up one for my vampire army. I loved the model but - like most of my collection - despite seeing many games it remained unpainted for a very, very long time. After a couple of house moves and a period spent in storage it was also starting to look a little worse for wear, with bits breaking and a thick layer of dust caking it in texture Nurgle would have been proud of.

When I got round to looking at my beloved bat again I wasn't sure I could save it. At the very least, I didn't think I would get it to a standard that I'd be happy having in my army. So I decided to rebase it, take the square base it was on for another project, and try out a grimdark, dirty, grimy style using mostly oil paints. I figured it was an appropriate style for painting the undead and it'd give me a chance to try out some new techniques.

I was very, very pleased with the results.

Photos taken with a dark atmosphere to show off the terrorgheist to best effect.






This one taken in full light so you can see it in less favourable conditions - still looks pretty good!

As you can see, it came out really well! I couldn't easily fix the broken wing-tip but the rest of the repairs aren't noticeable, and the dirty painting style really suits the piece, I think. Even in harsh light it looks pretty good - I'm actually regretting not keeping it on a square base so it could be part of my army after all (but rebasing it was such a hassle I am not doing that again).

I hope you like this first installment for Spooktober (is that a thing? If not, let's make it a thing.). There'll be more to come before the month is out!

Until then, happy painting!

No comments:

Post a Comment